The Carroll County Auditor provides a variety of services to the citizens of Carroll County, and other departments in county government. The staff has a vital role in keeping the county government functioning with fiscal, election and real estate functions that impact all areas.
The Auditor also serves as secretary to the Board of Supervisors at their meetings and is in charge of the the buildings and grounds upkeep and maintenance.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Auditor's
Office are as follows:
- Election Department: A division of the Auditor's Office, conducts all elections in the county and maintaining voter registration records. Iowa Secretary of State Election Results Website
- Real Estate, Taxation: Keeps records of all property ownership in the county. Determines tax rates and property taxes for all taxable property based on valuations and certified local budgets.
- Budget: Receives and compiles budget information from the various county departments and presents it to the Board of Supervisors. Monitors county budget throughout fiscal year. Acts as a conduit for other local budgets filed with state.
- Accounts Payable and Receivable: Keeps ledger accounts of all revenues and expenditures of the county. Receives claims for payment from various departments, prepares list for Board of Supervisors, issues payment for claims approved by Board.
- Payroll: Keeps all wage and withholding records for county employees. Receives time cards, computes wages, generates and distributes payroll warrants (paychecks).
- Clerk to Board of Supervisors: Takes minutes of meetings and maintains records of Board proceedings.
- Institutional Accounts: Keeps accounts of expenses of institutionalized persons, seeks payment where appropriate. Also keeps records of mentally disabled consumers receiving services with county financial assistance. Determines legal settlement of potential county clients.
- County Conservator: A division of the Auditor's Office providing assistance to disabled individuals who are unable to handle their own financial and/or personal needs. The services provided to individuals are Conservatorship, Guardianship, or Representative Payee.
- Permits: Sells, on behalf of the State of Iowa, permits for beer, liquor and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county.
- Auctions: Keeps records on real estate conveyed to the county through tax sale deed, prepares for and assists Board of Supervisors in conducting public auctions to dispose of such real estate.