Board of Supervisors
Agendas, Minutes & Claims
Date: May 16, 2016
NOTICE AND CALL OF BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
GOVERNMENTAL BODY: CARROLL COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
DATE OF MEETING: Monday, May 16, 2016
TIME OF MEETING: 9:00 a.m. D.S.T.
PLACE OF MEETING: SUPERVISORS MEETING ROOM-COURTHOUSE
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the above-mentioned body will meet at the date, time, and place above set out. The tentative agenda for said meeting is as follows:
Pledge of Allegiance
Call to order
Approval of Agenda
Approval of Minutes
Old Business/New Business
- Appropriations Resolution
- Approve Plat(s)
- Veteran Affairs Commission Appointment
- City of Dedham Lease
- Approve Resolution 2016-007 Level B to Level C
- Secondary Roads:
- Manure Management Annual Updates:
- New Fashion Pork, Farm 318 – Elite Nursery 318, Section 31, Cedar Township, Greene Co.
- New Fashion Pork, Farm 305 – Elite Finisher 305, Section 5, Kniest Township
- New Fashion Pork, Farm 301 – Elite Finisher 301, Section 34, Grant Township
- New Fashion Pork, Farm 304 – Elite Finisher 304, Section 6, Union Township
- CCL, Section 14, Grant Township
- Kohorst Farms Inc, Site 1, Section 16, Wheatland Township
- Kohorst Farms Inc, Site 2, Section 32, Wheatland Township
- Jason Opperman Site, Section 29, Washington Township
- Juergens Brothers LLC, Bladen Pork, Section 17, Union Township
- Committee Reports
Comments from those in attendance
The Board of Supervisors of Carroll County, Iowa met in regular adjourned session in the Boardroom of the Courthouse, in Carroll, Iowa, the County seat of said County on Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. Daylight Saving Time pursuant to law, the rules of said Board and to the adjournment with all members present: Neil Bock, District 1; Dean Schettler, District 2; Eugene Meiners, District 3; Marty Danzer, District 4; and Mark Beardmore, District 5.
Motion by Beardmore, second by Danzer to approve the agenda as presented. On roll call, all voted aye. Motion by Schettler, second by Meiners to approve the minutes of the May 9, 2016 meeting as written. On roll call, all voted aye.
Motion by Beardmore, second by Schettler to approve an Appropriations Resolution, appropriating the remaining 1% of the FY16 budgeted expenditures for the following funds and departments: General Basic Department 30, 34, and 99; General Supplemental all Departments; Mental Health Department 62; Rural Services Department 20, 33, and 99; Local Option Tax Department 99; Attorney Collection Department 4; TIF Fund Department 95; and Conservation Capital Department 22. On a roll call vote, Bock, aye; Beardmore, aye; Schettler, aye; Meiners, aye; Danzer, nay. Motion carried. (Resolution on file in the Auditor’s office.)
Motion by Meiners, second by Danzer to approve plats of survey for Lot 1 NE1/4 SE1/4 Section 27-84-36 and Lot 1 E1/2 NE Frl.1/4 Section 2-82-33. On roll call, all voted aye.
Motion by Meiners, second by Beardmore to appoint Jim Bruggeman to the Veterans Affairs Commission for a three-year term. On roll call, all voted aye.
Motion by Danzer, second by Beardmore to authorize Board Chair to sign a lease with the City of Dedham. On roll call, all voted aye. The lease is for the following real estate in Carroll County Lot 3 SE1/4 SE1/4 Section 17-82-34 except the southwesterly 115 feet of said Lot 3. The City of Dedham requested use of the property for their City Park and Ball Fields. The Board requested County Attorney John Werden prepare the lease. The lease has a three year term and will automatically renew for like periods of time unless notice is given by either party at least 90 days prior to expiration of any term. County may cancel this lease upon not less than 6 month notice. Rent is $1.00 per year commencing on or before July 1, 2016 and on the first day of July each year thereafter, during the term of this lease and any renewal thereof.
Board reviewed manure management annual updates for New Fashion Pork, Farm 318-Elite Nursery 318, Section 31, Cedar Township, Greene County; New Fashion Pork, Farm 305-Elite Finisher 305, Section 5, Kniest Township; New Fashion Pork, Farm 301-Elite Finisher 301, Section 34, Grant Township; New Fashion Pork, Farm 304-Elite Finisher 304, Section 6, Union Township; CCL, Section 14, Grant Township; Kohorst Farms Inc., Site 1, Section 16, Wheatland Township; Kohorst Farms Inc., Site 2, Section 32, Wheatland Township; Jason Opperman Site, Section 29, Washington Township; and Juergens Brothers LLC, Bladen Pork, Section 17, Union Township.
Beardmore reported on Ambulance Board meeting and Candidate Forum. Upcoming meetings include: Carroll Area Childcare Center Board, RDG and Coalition of Human Services.
Schettler reported on Conservation Board meeting. Upcoming meetings include: RDG and Board of Health.
Meiners reported on CADC Housing Study Press Release and Candidate Forum. Upcoming meetings include: CADC, RDG and Yes Center.
Danzer reported on Wesco Board meeting, Carroll County Solid Waste Board meeting and Mallard View meeting. Upcoming meetings include: RDG, culvert issues and Region XII.
Bock reported on CADC Housing Study Press Release and Mallard View meeting. Upcoming meetings include: RDG, Coalition of Human Services and Local Planning Group.
County Engineer Dave Paulson discussed Drain 105 in Section 29 Kniest Township. The drain is in need of repair and the work will be done by the Secondary Road Department. Motion by Schettler, second by Meiners to approve work on Drain 105 in Section 29 Kniest Township. On roll call, all voted aye.
Motion by Danzer, second by Meiners to approve and authorize Board Chair to sign Carroll County Resolution No. 2016-007, Area Service “C” Road Maintenance Resolution. On roll call, all voted aye. The resolution was voted on by roll call at the previous week’s meeting.
AREA SERVICE “C” ROAD MAINTENANCE RESOLUTION
WHEREAS, Carroll County desires to classify certain roads on the area service system in the County to provide for a minimal level of maintenance and access by means of a gate or barrier; and
WHEREAS, the County, after consultation with the County Engineer, has the authority to specify certain roads within the County as Area Service “C” roads pursuant to Iowa Code Section 309.57; and
WHEREAS, THE County has received a petition, attached to this resolution, signed by all landowners adjoining the road, requesting that the following road be classified as an Area Service “C” road:
Noble Avenue between Sections 19 and 20 of Newton Township, T82N, R34W, Carroll County, Iowa
AND, WHEREAS, the only persons who will have access rights to the roads shall be:
- the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession of any adjoining land,
- the agent or employee of the owner, lessee or person in lawful possession of any adjoining land,
- any peace officer,
- any magistrate,
- any public employee whose duty it is to supervise the use or perform maintenance of the road,
- any agent or employee of any utility located upon the road.
WHEREAS, the minimal level of maintenance will be as follows:
- Blading. Blading or dragging will not be performed on a regular basis.
- Snow and Ice Removal. Snow and ice will not be removed, nor will the road surface be sanded or salted on a regular basis.
- Signing. Except for load limit posting for bridges, signing shall not be continued or provided. All Area Service “C” roads shall be identified with a sign at all points of access to warn the public of the lower level of maintenance.
- Weeds and Brush and Trees. Mowing or spraying weeds, cutting brush and tree removal will not be performed on a regular basis. Adequate sight distances will not be maintained.
- Structures. Bridges and culverts may not be maintained to carry legal loads. Upon failure or loss, the replacement structure will be appropriate for the traffic thereon.
- Road Surfacing. There will be no surfacing materials applied to Area Service System “C” roads on a regular basis.
- Shoulders. Shoulders will not be maintained on a regular basis.
- Crown. A crown will not be maintained on a regular basis.
- Repairs. There will be no road repair on a regular basis.
- Uniform Width. Uniform width for the traveled portion of the road will not be maintained.
- Inspections. Regular inspections will not be conducted.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF CARROLL COUNTY that this County does hereby establish the road described above as an Area Service “C” road, with restricted access and a minimal level of maintenance.
The above resolution was adopted by the Board of Supervisors of Carroll County, Iowa on May 9, 2016.
s/Neil Bock, Carroll County Board of Supervisors, Chairperson
Attest: Kourtney Irlbeck, Carroll County Auditor
Bock discussed a letter received from the Department of Interior regarding the impact of wind turbines on endangered species. The letter included an environmental impact statement form. Bock would like to complete the form stating his observation is very little environmental impact in comparison to the benefits. Following discussion, the Board was in agreement that Bock complete the form. No formal action taken.
Motion by Beardmore, second by Danzer to adjourn at 9:46 a.m. On roll call, all voted aye.
Kourtney Irlbeck, Auditor, Neil Bock, Chairman