Board of Supervisor's
Agendas, Minutes & Claims
Date: October 01, 2012
NOTICE AND CALL OF BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
GOVERNMENTAL BODY: CARROLL COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
DATE OF MEETING: Monday, October 1, 2012
TIME OF MEETING: 9:00 a.m. D.S.T.
PLACE OF MEETING: SUPERVISORS MEETING ROOM-COURTHOUSE
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the above-mentioned body will meet at the date, time, and place above set out. The tentative agenda for said meeting is as follows:
Pledge of Allegiance
Call to order
Approval of Agenda
Approval of Minutes
Old Business/New Business
- Secondary Roads:
- Closed Session per Iowa Code Chapter 21.5(1)(j)
- 9:30 a.m. - Public Hearing for Level “C” Road in Section 25 of Jasper Township
- Approve Carroll County Resolution No. 2012-012
- Approve Sheriff Union Agreement
- Proposed Middle and South Raccoon River Watershed Agreement Discussion
- Manure Management Annual Update:
- Kennebeck Farms, Dennis Kennebeck, Section 13, Roselle Township
- Hinners Site, Larry Jo & Kyle Hinners, Section 1, Lincoln Township, Audubon County
- Aurora South, Brad Golay, Section 20, Union Township
- Aurora North, Brad Golay, Section 21, Richland Township
- Committee Reports
Comments from those in attendance
Agenda October 1 2012.pdf
The Board of Supervisors of Carroll County, Iowa met in regular adjourned session in the Boardroom of the Courthouse, in Carroll, Iowa, the County seat of said County on Monday, October 1, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. Daylight Saving Time pursuant to law, the rules of said Board and to the adjournment with the following members present: Mark Beardmore, Eugene Meiners, Dan Nieland, Marty Danzer and Neil Bock.
Motion by Danzer, second by Nieland to approve the agenda as presented. On roll call, all voted aye. Motion by Meiners, second by Bock to approve the minutes of the September 24, 2012 meeting as written. On roll call, all voted aye.
Motion by Beardmore, second by Danzer to go into closed session per Iowa Code Chapter 21.5(1)(j) at 9:02 a.m. On a roll call vote, Beardmore, aye; Meiners, aye; Nieland, aye; Danzer, aye; Bock, aye. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by Meiners, second by Danzer to go out of closed session at 9:33 a.m. On roll call, all voted aye. Motion by Beardmore, second by Nieland to make a new offer of $7,900 for the purchase of real estate parcel number 05-15-400-005 in Section 15 of Arcadia Township. On roll call, Beardmore, Meiners, Nieland and Danzer voted aye. Bock voted nay. Motion carried. The property is located in the SE1/4 SE1/4 of Section 15-84-36 and is used by the county to stockpile gravel.
At 9:36 a.m. the chair opened a public hearing for classifying a portion of 150th street in section 25 of Jasper Township as a class “C” road. The County Engineer received no written comments. He did speak to one landowner. Supervisor Danzer also spoke to one landowner. County Auditor received no comments. Engineer said a gate will be installed on the east end of the road. Following discussion of possible utilities in the road right-of-way, there were no further comments and the chair closed the public hearing at 9:41 a.m. Motion by Danzer, second by Bock to approve Resolution 2012-012. On a roll call vote, Beardmore, aye; Meiners abstained; Nieland, aye; Danzer, aye; Bock, aye. Motion carried.
RESOLUTION No. 2012-012
AREA SERVICE “C” ROAD MAINTENANCE
WHEREAS, Carroll County desires to classify certain roads on the area service system in the County to provide for a minimal level of maintenance and access by means of a gate or barrier; and
WHEREAS, the County, after consultation with the County Engineer, has the authority to specify certain roads within the County as Area Service “C” roads pursuant to Iowa Code Section 309.57; and
WHEREAS, THE County has received a petition, attached to this resolution, signed by all landowners adjoining the road, requesting that the following road be classified as an Areas Service “C” road:
Beginning at the Southeast Corner of Section 25, Jasper Township, Township 85 North, Range 33 West; thence West to the South Quarter Corner of said Section 25, Jasper Township. (150th Street)
AND, WHEREAS, the only persons who will have access rights to the roads shall be:
- the owner, lessee, or person in lawful possession of any adjoining land,
- the agent or employee of the owner, lessee or person in lawful possession of any adjoining land,
- any peace officer,
- any magistrate,
- any public employee whose duty it is to supervise the use or perform maintenance of the road,
- any agent or employee of any utility located upon the road.
WHEREAS, the minimal level of maintenance will be as follows:
- Blading. Blading or dragging will not be performed on a regular basis.
- Snow and Ice Removal. Snow and ice will not be removed, nor will the road surface be sanded or salted on a regular basis.
- Signing. Except for load limit posting for bridges, signing shall not be continued or provided. All Area Service “C” roads shall be identified with a sign at all points of access to warn the public of the lower level of maintenance.
- Weeds and Brush and Trees. Mowing or spraying weeds, cutting brush and tree removal will not be performed on a regular basis. Adequate sight distances will not be maintained.
- Structures. Bridges and culverts may not be maintained to carry legal loads. Upon failure or loss, the replacement structure will be appropriate for the traffic thereon.
- Road Surfacing. There will be no surfacing materials applied to Area Service System “C” roads on a regular basis.
- Shoulders. Shoulders will not be maintained on a regular basis.
- Crown. A crown will not be maintained on a regular basis.
- Repairs. There will be no road repair on a regular basis.
- Uniform Width. Uniform width for the traveled portion of the road will not be maintained.
- Inspections. Regular inspections will not be conducted.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF CARROLL COUNTY that this County does hereby establish the road described above as an Area Service “C” road, with restricted access and a minimal level of maintenance.
Resolution adopted this 1st day of October, 2012.
Carroll County Board of Supervisors
s/Mark Beardmore, Chairman
s/Joan Schettler, Carroll County Auditor
Engineer asked a Supervisor to join him in meeting with a representative from B & W Control Specialists to discuss spraying in Drain102, Drain 77, and possibly Drain 9-13. Danzer volunteered to attend the meeting. Engineer updated various road projects around the county.
Motion by Beardmore, second by Meiners to approve the Sheriff’s Department Union Agreement for FY13 and to authorize the chair’s signature. On roll call, all voted aye.
Bock reviewed the history of a proposed 28E agreement to form a Watershed Management Authority for the Middle and South Raccoon River Watershed. Comments to the revised agreement are being encouraged at this time. It is hoped a final version of the 28E agreement will be ready sometime in October. The board then heard comments from Hubert and Virginia Hagemann who are not in favor of the county being part of the Watershed Management Authority.
Board reviewed manure management annual updates for the following: Kennebeck Farms, Dennis Kennebeck, in Section 13 of Roselle Township; Aurora South, Brad Golay, in Section 20 of Union Township; Aurora North, Brad Golay, in Section 21 of Richland Township; and Hinners Site, Larry Jo & Kyle Hinners, in Section 1, Lincoln Township, Audubon County.
Meiners reported on CADC and New Opportunities
Nieland reported on meeting with Beardmore and Mark River to view issues with the trail around Swan Lake, and meeting with Maple River residents concerning funding of the wastewater system.
Danzer reported on WESCO union negotiations.
Bock reported on RSVP and Foster Grandparent programs, and 2nd Judicial District meeting.
Beardmore reported on Swan Lake trail meeting, and Roundtable session with Doug O’Brien from USDA Rural Development.
Motion by Meiners, second by Danzer to adjourn at 11:24 a.m. On roll call, all voted aye.
Joan Schettler, Auditor, Mark Beardmore, Chairman
Associated File: October